Oggy Enterprises Pty Ltd
Most of the Job roles listed below have been as a sub contractor, using my own company (Oggy Enterprises Pty Ltd).
Before emigrating to Australia, I had a similar design company in the UK (Tasktake Ltd).
Recently (Engineering wise), I used Fusion 360 for a proof of concept for a remote control helicopter. this involved a detailed and complex model of the helicopter gimbal mechanism. The model's joints were all kinematically constrained to show correct blade movements.
I have also designed the mounting of a petrol generator to the underside of an industrial drone. The design was modelled using Autodesk's Fusion 360.
Part of the contract was to also manufacture the rig, mount the engine to the drone frame, using our small workshop, small CNC mill and CNC router.
We also used Fusion 360's CAD/CAM to write the G-code for the mill and router to machine some of the parts required.
Jord Engineers Pty Ltd
St Leonards, NSW
Jord manufactures, commissions and services bespoke process plant and systems to various process industries, including alumina, oil & gas, petrochemical, power generation, minerals processing, coal, sugar and pharmaceutical across 11 companies and 17 offices in 12 Countries
• Managed the day-to-day running and implementation of Jord's quality systems within the engineering department.
• Guided and mentored the design engineers in the execution of their duties.
• Accountable for detailed engineering design and project management assistance for complex projects.
• Coordinated engineering activities with the QA/QC, IT and finance departments.
• Managed the time, cost, design, quality assurance and client satisfaction aspects of all projects.
• Led the administrative functions of the engineering department.
• Ensured appropriate staffing and resources were maintained, retained and engaged through effective recruitment and mentoring and development plans.
• Developed, improved and managed work systems through the effective use of resources in conducting operational activity.
• Developed and introduced a 3D parametric design system into the various engineering offices (Autodesk Inventor).
Chatswood, NSW Sydney
Leightons provided the project management team for CSR’s $350 million expansion to its sawmill and MDF plant in Oberon (NSW).
• Responsible, with a team of 2 draughtsmen, for the strategic replacement of the old MDF lines with minimum plant disruption.
• Strong design input into CSR’s new doorskin plant, mouldings plant, and storage lines, based on my experience with automated systems when I worked for Merck Sharpe & Dohme in England.
• Provided forecasts and resultant schedules pertinent to the project.
• Identified resources and requirements, assigned responsibilities and coordinated with project staff to ensure successful completion of projects,
• Planned and managed project – new doorskin plant, new mouldings plant and storage lines.
• Commercial and technical negotiations with clients and subcontractors.
• Preparation of detailed manufacturing schedules.
• Procurement management.
• Successful key stakeholder management with strong client relationships including third party inspectors, quality manager, workshop personnel, production manager, Sales manager, vendors and subcontractors.
• Reviewed QA/QC documentation and MDRs.
• Conducted project site visits.
• Ensured on-time project completion and maximised projects profitability
Jord Engineers (Sydney)
St Leonards, NSW Sydney
• Designed the largest horizontal vacuum belt filters for the coal industry. These lowered the water content in the coal using a vacuum filtrate system.
• Worked for 6 months in England designing the new filter as part of a joint agreement with Krupp, Germany. All design drawings were done on Autocad and e-mailed weekly to Sydney/Germany. Two of these were sold to Newlands coal, Queensland and installed in April 98.
• Produced a 3D Model of a draft tubed baffle crystalliser for a nickel refinery (pumps, steelwork, access walkways and stairs, ducting and pipework (using Microstation).
• Designed rotary disk filters, air cooled heat exchangers, steel structures, walkways and pressure vessels
• Helped commission the belt filters and associative plant equipment
ABB Enviromental Systems Ltd
Staines, London UK
ABB refurbished Uskmouth B coal powered power station on behalf of AES with a £120 million refurbishment to bring it up to date in accordance with legislative requirements.
• Refurbishment of Fifoots Point Power station
• Designed the ducting and associated steelwork around the desulphurisation filters.
• Piping layouts of the compressor station.
• Use of Autocad (worked from the 3D Model of the entire plant).
Design & draughting of Mine Winding Gear and Coal Conveyors using Microstation ver 4.
Kvaerner Ferranti Subsea Ltd
Involved in the design and drawing of Control Systems used to monitor and control the flow of oil through Subsea Christmas Trees. Extensive use of Autocad R12 for Windows.
Badger Catalytic Ltd
Colliers Wood, London
Rhone Poulenc Rorer (Paris, France).
Involved in the HVAC Design for their new Specifics Building and with presentation work on the design possibilities of containment of product from Filter Dryers (2D & 3D work using Intergraph Workstations)
Cilag A.G.(Johnson & Johnson, Schaffhausen, Switzerland) and Cilag A.G.(Johnson & Johnson, Lisbon, Portugal).
Involved throughout the project designing a Secondary Pharmaceutical Plant for new products. Responsible for the flow of information between the Project Discipline Heads (including the Architect in Switzerland) and the Designers/Draughtsmen using electronic mail via the client.
Merck Sharp & Dohme (Cramlington, England).
Design of High Bay Warehouse, Complex Conveyor Systems, Robotic Pallet Handlers, Packaging Machines, Automated Guided Vehicles (AGV'S). This was the World's first "Paperless Manufacturing Line for the "Proscar" Drug.
Reading, United Kingdom
Checking a crude distillation unit's isometrics on an Indonesian Project using Microstation ver 3.0
Kellog Brown and Root Ltd
Colliers Wood, London, United Kingdom
Production of PFD's, UFD's & P&ID's for the Occidental Piper Bravo & Saltire projects. These wereintelligent drawings, Produced using Autocad ver 10.0, which automatically produced the Line Lists.
Badger Catalytic Ltd
London, United Kingdom
Process draughting including Chloro-Alkali Plants using Autocad rel 10.0 and Microstation ver 3.0.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Various Draughting assignments involving Petrochemical P&ID's/PFD'S, HVAC layouts
Mechanical Design Engineer
Slough, United Kingdom
As a mechanical engineer, involved in controlling the design, building and development of Manual and CNC Punch Press Machines. Travelled to the Republic of China to sign contracts between ROC and Rhodes Pierce-All for a “Western Technology Transfer Deal”.
Wokingham, Berkshire, UK
Continuing on from my Apprenticeship, I was involved in:-
- Billet Heating.
- Induction Heat Treatment .
- Induction Heating (Brazing/Soldering)
- Power Supply (Induction Heating)
- Induction Wire Heating.
- Induction Pipe Heating & Coating